What to do in General Cepeda, Coahuila?
The cultural, historical and gastronomic wealth of Coahuila is simply impressive. Proof of this can be found in General Cepeda , a charming town where dinosaur fossils abound. Find out what you can do when you visit!
Where to eat in General Cepeda
- Take a walk downtown and visit the church of San Francisco de Asís. Here you will find beautiful paintings and altarpieces dating from the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries. Another unmissable is to know the building of the Municipal Presidency.
- In the hot season, cool off and rest in Plaza Independencia. The shade of its lush trees are ideal to regain strength. Also, if you visit it on a Sunday, you will find the delicacies that traditional cooks prepare.
- If you are a tireless passionate about history, be sure to visit the General Cepeda museums. At the Rincón Colorado Museum of Paleontology, for example, you can get closer to the paleontological discoveries that have been made in the region since the late 20th century. In addition, if you go as a family, children can enjoy the children’s games in the shape of a dinosaur.
Where to stay in General Cepeda
- Visit Rincón Colorado, the first paleontological zone in Mexico that is open to the public. Here, in addition to enjoying the extraordinary desert and mountainous landscapes, you will discover the richness of prehistory thanks to the invaluable abundance of fossils and remains of dinosaurs, invertebrates, plants, turtles, and much more.
- Escape to the ejido of Porvenir de Jalpa. One of the great attractions of this site are the fossilized dinosaur footprints that, for the most part, belong to the dinosaur known as hadrosaur or duckbill. To give you an idea of their importance, specialists estimate that these footprints date back 72 million years.
- Buy delicious souvenirs from Villa de Patos. This brand offers totally organic products. We recommend you try: mead –there are different flavors and they are all delicious–, quince jelly and dairy products –you should know that these are free of hormones and antibiotics.
- Get to know Hacienda La Florida. In this boutique vineyard, you will find a beautiful terrace where you can hold different social events while enjoying a spectacular view of the vineyard. You can also buy high-quality wines – like different editions of Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec.
How to get to General Cepeda?
If you leave from Saltillo, the fastest route is through Mexico 40, then through Coahuila 103 and from there to the municipality of General Cepeda. The approximate time is 1 hour.