Effective, (Monday, September 7, 2020) Puerto Morelos moves from orange to yellow on the stoplight system.
What does this mean to you? Get ready to book your vacation!
Quintana Roo has been working very hard to stop the spread of Covid-19. Case numbers are posted at noon daily (local time) here on twitter. Puerto Morelos did not take the situation lightly. We began our lockdown in mid-March. Then in mid-June, we went from red on Mexico’s four stoplight system to orange. This opened us up to 30 percent. You can read more about that here.
Now we are moving from orange to yellow. Below is a list of what will be open and to what capacity. The best news is that our beach is now open to 60%.
As for hours, we don’t know how late businesses will be allowed to be open. Currently, shops and restaurants are required to be closed by 9 pm or 10 pm. Hours are determined by the local government and not the state. Bars are still not allowed to open. If you do want to order a drink in a restaurant, you must also order food.
So here is what you need to know: (English below)
ESSENTIAL SERVICES: 100% OPEN
• Police and Justice system
• Legislative activities
• Hospitals and medical services
• Retail food (Food markets, supermarkets, convenience stores, groceries, tortillerías, etc.)
• Banks and financial institutions
• Fishing and agriculture
• Water purifiers
• Sales of appliances and computers
• Administrative, professional and technicians
• Gymnasiums and sports clubs (Outdoor areas 100%. Closed spaces 50%)
OPENING AT 60%
• Hotels, restaurants, historic sites, theme parks, golf courses, and travel services
• Beaches and public parks
• Religious services
• Theaters and cinemas
• Malls and department stores
• Real estate
• Hairdressers and beauty salons
• Bars, nightclubs, discos, entertainment venues, etc.
Private vehicles: Max 4 people/car
Taxis: Max 3 people/car (including the driver)
Public transport: 50% capacity
Despite these openings, you still must practice social distancing, wear a mask in public, have your temperature checked, and use hand gel when you enter any business. These precautions have become so normal for us now, we really don’t find they impact our daily lives here in Puerto Morelos.
So to all those people who have been emailing us and asking if they should make plans to visit Puerto Morelos this winter… This is one very positive step towards reopening. We look forward to seeing all of you behind your masks this winter.
For more information on vacation rentals, please visit our new website www.vacationrentalspm.com and we will see you soon.