20 men from Guanajuato were deprived of their freedom by armed men last weekend in Puerto Vallarta, while they were on an adventure trip in all-terrain vehicles through the Western Sierra of Jalisco.
During the abduction of these 20 people, a gun battle broke out in which one of the victims was injured and later died in a hospital. Photo: Agencies
Sources close to the victims – at least 10 of them identified as small businessmen – said the abductees had already been located by criminals, apparently members of the New Generation Jalisco Cartel (CJNG), according to the AM website.
Another version indicates that those who intercepted them are part of a group linked to the Santa Rosa de Lima Cartel, which leads “El Marro”.
The events occurred during the course of their trip known as “Vallartazo”, which begins in Guadalajara, passes through Ameca, Talpa de Allende, and arrives in Puerto Vallarta.
It was on Saturday, July 18 that they were caught as they were arriving at the tourist port.
According to various testimonies, the affected people were traveling in RZR vehicles, ATVs, and all-terrain vans when they were intercepted by the armed group on Fluvial Avenue, near the intersection with Grandes Lagos Avenue, in the Vallarta Fluvial Development.
Joaquin Alba, a businessman dedicated to the transportation of construction materials, was injured at the site and was allegedly hit when he fell from one of the RZR-type vehicles. He later died in a hospital.
After a shooting, several of the people who were part of the tourist convoy were deprived of their freedom.
After the attack, the municipal authorities located three vehicles that apparently belonged to the victims.
Another source close to the case said that the attackers began calling the victims’ relatives to ask for ransom money.
Until this Saturday there was no official confirmation of the facts.
Source: AM Noticias